After spending a day at work, the evening is supposed to be that nice, quiet few hours spent at home unwinding. Oh really? Somehow, that isn’t my usual experience. My evenings usually go something like this:
1. Fight the traffic across town to pick up husband.
2. 30 minute drive home.
3. Walk in the house and realize teenage son hasn’t done his chores of unloading the dishwasher and taking out the trash.
4. Do teenage son’s chores of unloading the dishwasher and taking out the trash.
5. Start fixing dinner while simultaneously working around husband who is fixing a snack because he’s STARVING!
6. Put away multiple pickle and olive jars, cheese and crackers that husband left strewn all over the counter.
7. Answer the phone several times because the teenager is outside and unable to receive the calls from his friends.
8. Open mail.
9. Eat dinner.
10. Start to watch TV while doing the supper dishes.
11. Have daily spat with teenage son about not doing his chores.
12. Have daily spat with teenage son about not doing his homework before he went skateboarding.
13. Let the dog outside.
14. Let the dog back inside.
15. Sit down to watch TV. If it’s interesting to me, the phone will ring several times. If it’s REALLY interesting, there will be some crisis with one of the kids that will keep me on the phone for at least an hour.
16. If there’s nothing on TV that is interesting to me, I’ll wander off to play computer games, read email and write in my blog.
17. Go to bed.
18. Answer the phone.
19. Go back to bed.
20. Get up and turn on the dishwasher because I forgot to do it when I stopped to answer the phone earlier.
21. Go back to bed.
22. Go to sleep and have nightmares about the phone ringing…
23. Rinse and repeat. 🙂