I look a complete mess at the moment. Hot, red in the face, huffing and puffing as though I’d just run a marathon. Why? All because of a 25 foot flower bed full of weeds. I had a few thoughts about weeds while I was on my hands and knees. I thought I’d share a few of them with you!
- Have you ever noticed that some weeds can seem deceptively attractive from a distance, but, lose their appeal when you’re face-to-face in a battle for the flower bed?
- Ever wonder how many extra dandelions you were responsible for by carelessly blowing their seeds around as a child for fun? Bet my Mom hated that!
- I should do a better job of identifying my perennial plants in the summer. By the time spring gets here I fear many of them die an early death because they look too much like weeds. Oops.
- I had a chuckle a moment ago thinking how many people will accidentally find this post because they thought it said “random thoughts about weed?” It will surely be a disappointment for some!
- I hate weeds. They ruin my fun, make my hands and shoulders hurt and my eyes swell shut. But, I love flowers, so…
- My beautiful flower bed that I planted last weekend was pristine perfect, until today. Then I saw them, lurking about my new posies. They dare to reappear in my fresh mulch! Blasted dandelions! Oh well, back to the kneeling position.
- Marigolds and purple wave petunias, shasta daisies and snapdragons, and all varieties of Asiatic lilies have now replaced the nasty thistles, dandelions and heaven knows what else in my flower beds. All I need to do is get a few more annuals to put in the bare spots and voila! All nice and neat again.
- Lambs ear. Cool to look at in small batches, lovely to touch. Takes over your whole garden. Anyone need some lambs ear? I have about 5 feet worth in my 25 foot flower bed…
- I hate weeds, but, today I won the battle. I may not be able to get out of bed in the morning and my hands may never be the same, but, there’s not one dandelion or thistle left in my garden spots. I declare myself…the winner!