I’m sitting here watching the morning news and weather and, of course, had some random thoughts hit with regard to hurricanes.
- Who names these stupid things anyway? Gustav? GUSTAV? Come on!
- There is so much hype about these tropical storms before they hit land that I swear the hurricanes go ahead and hit out of sheer guilt so they don’t make the weathermen look bad.
- Based on the speculation that Gustav MIGHT become a hurricane and MIGHT hit land and MIGHT hit land in Louisianna in areas where we have oil refineries, gas prices immediately increased 10-20 cents. How come the gas prices never fall that quickly?
- I think weatherman really enjoy the excitement of hurricane season. They get almost giddy when they’re reporting about things like “high winds and mass destruction.”
- There have been so many massive natural disasters in the past few years that I worry we’ve gotten almost desensitized to the normal stuff. So much so that people aren’t as quick to offer aid and assistance. Makes me feel bad.
- Is the rain we had last night related to the hurricane? Appears not. That particular rain was imported compliments of our friends to the north in Canada.
- I think the next hurricane should be called Hercules. At least that sounds like something that should be applied to a really heavy hitting storm. Calling a storm Fay or Gustav just sounds wimpy.