I remember being so excited about getting cable TV when we moved to town in the late 80’s. I had grown up with 2-3 network TV stations and the thought of having a large variety of programming to choose from was really cool. In the beginning it WAS cool. It took several months to get my fill of all my old childhood programs in syndication. Several more to explore all the old movies and VH1.
The reality set in later when I realized all of this old programming seemed to be in an infinite loop on cable TV. I could watch for years and saw the same old stuff all the time. When we built our new house, we switched to DISH satellite service. I felt the buzz of excitement about all the additional channels we would get and the new things we would see. This lasted for about the same amount of time as the euphoria over cable TV. Last night, my husband and I looked at each other and remarked how amazing it was to have literally hundreds of channels and there wasn’t a blasted thing on TV worth watching!
So, here are my random musings about TV. I’m sure this will sound familiar to some of you.
- Who gets control of the remote control at your house? Does one person browse the channels for everyone or do you pass the remote around and have a more democratic process?
- Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs or Ice Road Truckers?
- I think Survivor has sort of run its course with me now. I used to get really excited about it because people actually had to attempt to survive in the wild. I could admire that. Now they cast “pretty people” and provide them with way too many comforts. It somehow seems unfair to those who went before and actually had to suffer and earn their chance at a million dollars.
- In fact, reality TV was sort of interesting in the beginning and now its getting a little old and tired. I wish we had some creative TV writers who could create original programming that would stand the test of time like I Love Lucy, the Andy Griffith Show, MASH…you know, the classics!
- They have to quit with all the food commercials. They’re KILLING me!
- Is it just me or does it annoy other people when they have the little promos for other programs running at the bottom of the screen when you’re watching another TV show? Somehow it’s the same kind of intrusiveness that bothers me with pop-ups online.
- It’s Murphy’s Law that when you finally do find something good to watch on TV that the phone will ring (several times) or someone will drop in.
- I am spoiled by HD. Wow. Who knew there was such a difference between regular TV and HD? Ahhh, so pretty!
- It’s too bad that I don’t like to watch the same kind of movies my husband and son like to watch. Although I patiently sat through American Pie, it wasn’t exactly my thing. It’s nearly impossible for me to suffer through a Naked Gun or a Pink Panther movie. However, we all agree that the Lord of the Rings completely rock! Especially in HD!
- Wow, it’s amazing how long I can muse about TV in my blog because THERE”S NOTHING GOOD TO WATCH ON TV! 🙂
Question of the day: What’s your favorite program to watch in reruns? My favorite is The Andy Griffith Show, hands down! The black and white ones with Don Knotts.